Wednesday, March 18, 2009

If I Stay - Gayle Forman


It's a problem for me that my job involves writing reviews. Because I often say everything I want to say about a book in a work review and then have no steam left to even talk about the book with my friends. Then again, I can hardly be critical in work reviews, or bawdy, or use made-up words, so there's always hope.

So while I raved about If I Stay by Gayle Forman in a work review, saying I loved it (which I did), and that it's fantastic (which it is), what I didn't get to say was this: it had one of the hottest and most romantic sex scenes I've ever read. Don't think those Carlton mums would be buying it for their teenage daughters if I did say that!

I suppose it's a bit wrong saying that about a sex scene involving two seventeen-year-olds, but part of the reason it was so, ummm effective, was that the two characters were both complete beginners, and were really making it up as they went along. And shouldn't it be like that: as if every time is the first time? The two teenagers in question are both musicians (him rock, her classical - oh it's just like all the dance movies where the hip-hop guy falls for the ballet girl, such a good formula) and they're both so nervous to be alone in a bedroom together that they decide to pretend that each other is their chosen instrument to play. It's funny and awkward and sexy and very very sweet.

Of course there's so much more to this book, but when writers so often get sex scenes wrong, it's always good to notice when they get it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment